Old Spice and Secret aerosol spray antiperspirants and Old Spice Below Deck aerosol spray products are being voluntarily recalled by Proctor & Gamble due to the presence of benzene – which can result in cancers, which include leukemia and blood cancer of bone marrow, alongside life-threatening blood disorders.
“Based on exposure modeling and the cancer risk assessments published by the Environmental Protection Agency, daily exposure to benzene in the recalled products at the levels detected in our testing would not be expected to cause adverse health consequences,” Proctor & Gamble said in its recall notice.
Retailers, according to Proctor & Gamble, have been notified to remove these products from its shelves:
- Old Spice High Endurance AP Spray Pure Sport 12/6oz (012044001912)
- Old Spice Hardest Working Collection Inv Spray Stronger Swagger 3.8oz (012044044759)
- Old Spice Hardest Working Collection Inv Spray Pure Sport Plus 12/3.8oz (037000729747)
- Old Spice Hardest Working Collection Inv Spray Stronger Swagger 12/3.8oz (037000730347)
- Old Spice Hardest Working Collection Inv Spray Ult Captain 12/3.8oz (037000749479)
- Old Spice Below Deck Powder Spray Unscented 12/4.9oz (037000695714)
- Old Spice Below Deck Powder Spray Fresh Air 12/4.9oz (037000695707)
- Secret Aerosol Powder Fresh Twin Pack (037000586906)
- Secret Aerosol Powder Fresh 12/6OZ (037000711087)
- Secret Aerosol Powder Fresh 12/4OZ (037000711094)
- Secret Fresh Collection Inv Spray Waterlily 3.8oz (037000723721)
- Secret Fresh Collection Inv Spray Lavender 12/3.8oz (037000729860)
- Secret Fresh Collection Inv Spray Water Lily 12/3.8oz (037000729914)
- Secret Fresh Collection Inv Spray Light Essentials 12/3.8oz (037000729921)
- Secret Fresh Collection Inv Spray Rose 12/3.8oz (037000798842)
- Secret Outlast Inv Spray Completely Clean 12/3.8oz (037000747642)
- Secret Outlast Inv Spray Protecting Powder 12/3.8oz (037000747727)
- Old Spice Pure Sport 2021 Gift Set (012044048535)
Though no adverse effects have been reported, consumers are asked to stop using and discard the affected spray products. Reimbursements are being offered by Old Spice and Secret to those who have purchased the impacted products.
Anyone experiencing any issues related to the use of these recalled products is urged to contact their healthcare provider. This recall pertains to all lots with expiry through September 2023 of specific Old Spice and Secret aerosol spray antiperspirants and Old Spice Below Deck aerosol spray products sold in the United States.